I posted in a previous blog that when I completed my honey-do list, I would post pictures. Several readers responded that they would like to see some of the work. I thought I would be done by now, but I’m not. Well, I don’t think I will ever finish the list. For some strange reason it, like a child, keeps on growing. Even though I have completed a few items, there are more that I need to finish and a few that I need to start. If I can keep the appliance repair guys away and the car repairs down, I might be able to get some things done.
School started and life got in the way. Work got in the way. I am teaching a new subject this year, changed from math to social studies, and I have never had so many papers to grade in my life. So, now I work to find time to complete the master suite.
I wanted to get the shower door installed before I had to return to work and as it turned out the maximum width of the shower door was 1/2″ shy of being wide enough. So, my daughter ordered me a new one and I repacked the one I had been given. The new door finally came in and was delivered this week. Hopefully, I can get it installed within the next few days. There is hope!
I also wanted to get the bathroom vanity lights changed out, but we are still searching for one that we really like, I hate to settle for something I really don’t care for. Maybe soon. Maybe.
We did refinish the bathroom vanity and it turned out much better than I expected. We sanded down the old finish and used a medium gray with a sponge roller. Only a little touch up and I think we are good.
The floor is a light gray vinyl panel system and the colors go together quite well. The wall are an aqua blue, so the gray is not over powering.
The sliding door replaced an ugly pair of 18 inch doors. If you only opened one door there wasn’t quite enough room to get in, and opening both doors just seemed to be a waste. Anyway, problem solved.
It looked kind of like this, so I built a barn door,
stained and mounted it. I installed the track and it actually ended up level, so the door does not open or close by itself. I watched a few on-line videos on installation and saw several fails. Guess I got lucky.
The door received a paint wash. I diluted some gray satin paint with water 1:1 and painted as normal. It gave it a gray stain which allowed the grain to pop. I thought it turned out nice. It was extremely heavy; solid wood that measured 43 inches by 84 inches. If it doesn’t pull the bolts out of the studs, it should last a while.
The bedroom is a textured gray sandstone with an aqua accent wall. We installed an engineered hardwood that looks like weathered boards. Then, added a few pieces of antique furniture and I am almost done.
I don’t believe I’ve had a project go smooth from start to finish and this was no exception. I was excited about building my first door and had no idea how to do it, but after a lot of delays and a lot of sawdust, it is done.
Well, I need to get back to grading papers. Hope you all have a great week.
***John E. Stack is the author of Cody’s Almost Trip to the Zoo, Olivia’s Sweet Adventure, and Cody’s Rescue Adventure at the Zoo.